Monday, February 1, 2010

Moving on?

Katie at From IF to When has a really great post today about what she calls "Infertility Amnesia."   Basically, the phenomena that some IFers tend to completely forget about their struggles after finally conceiving.    That they drop off the face of the earth, and no longer support all of the wonderful women that have helped them through their struggle.

I've been thinking about this from the other side for the past couple of weeks.   It is very much part of my thoughts in thinking about what to do with my own blog.    I like blogging a lot more than I thought I would.   When I first started this, it was very much something that I needed to do for my own sanity.   I didn't have anyone that understood, and I found all of these wonderful, loving, caring women to get me through it.   This blog was very much a cry for help, and the community that it brought me into was a savior of my mental well being.

Now that I'm (barely) on the other side, I'm left figuring out how best to transition and how to do it and not be offensive to those women that I've come to love and respect so much.    I haven't had much time to think about it after getting sick this week (seriously, I haven't been this sick in ages), but little bits have been swirling in my sickened haze.

I'm far from perfect.   Really, hugely far from perfect, but I want to be sure that I do this transition in a thoughtful, and purposeful way.    This preoccupation with "doing right" probably stems from the fact that I am typically a tactless and insensitive person, and I care about all the ladies here so very much.

I think I'm going to continue blogging.   I think it might be neat (and therapeutic for me) to continue a blog from the IF affects on marriage post conception.  

___

On a happy note, the illness is fading, though I'm home from work sick today.    I hope to be back to normal in the next couple of days.

Oh!  and I don't have a scanner, so I can't scan my U/S pics.   bummer!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mention, Nixy. :)

    I think it's great that you are continuing your blog and I'm so excited to read about your transformation from TTC while infertile to pregnancy and motherhood after infertility! And I'm also very glad you are feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the biggest thing is understanding what an IF peeps go through. You will still be a support and a reminder that yes dreams do come true!

    I am glad you will still be blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m glad you'll keep blogging too. Seriously, I have a half-thought out post on this very topic.

    I am amazed at how many women still experiencing infertility are supportive during pregnancy and post-birth. They may leave a supportive comment and then cry at home by themselves, for all I know, but I think there's enough of a shared background to be genuinely happy for someone to make their way out of infertility.

    ReplyDelete