Sunday, November 29, 2009

In laws and Holiday Crazy

This morning, we got a call from Sweets' sister. She has decided that Christmas will now be held at her house, so that she doesn't have to travel with her three kids (and she's pregnant with #4) for 2 hours (4 in traffic) on Christmas.

Now, I believe that I have mentioned before that she is a selfish creature, and that she has done this to us before. Sweets' entire family is terrible at making plans, and that would all be fine, except that we have to fly across the country to get to them. Which means that we need to know months in advance WHERE the family is convening. It has routinely been a problem.

This year, I sent everyone an email in August saying that we'd really like to join them for one of the holidays this year, but tickets are expensive, so we'd like them to pick which of the holidays, and where it would be. I really thought that this would combat all of the problems that they had in the past.

The plan WAS that we fly to their mom's house, stay there for a night, and then in a hotel for a couple of nights when the sister comes down to invade the house with all of her children. I should add that we WANT to stay at a hotel for this time, because of a debacle a couple years ago where she dumped her kids off, and went to stay at a hotel herself, leaving us to watch her kids for her. (It was awful awful awful.)

We already have our tickets. To Sweets' mothers house. 150 miles away from his sister and in another state. But we're expected to have no problem getting in a car and driving all that way after flying across the country. Especially when we could have just bought tickets to her house in the first place.

-------

Spending the holiday with a pregnant person was going to be hard enough. But, she's already planned our Christmas Eve, which consists of following her around to drop off her Christmas presents to people, and take her children to see Santa Claus and get pictures of them. Who in their right mind thinks that other people want to do this with them? Do I have the right to refuse to do this with them?

We got online right away and booked a hotel room; which of course is now 230 bucks a night because it's so f-ing close to the day. I told him I would go, but I refused to stay at her house and Sweets firmly told them that we would not be staying with them. We'll be three hours behind them, and I'm not going to add sleep deprivation to the list of torture that week.

The icing on the cake is that we are SITTING OUT a cycle to be there with them on Christmas (because I should actually be ovulating on Xmas day).

I certainly feel like writing out an email to them all, which I know is probably a bad idea. I certainly know that we will NEVER plan another Christmas with them. I can deal with it (and should say that I normally do) during a normal vacation, but this is just too damn much. Maybe I'll wait until afterwards. I do know that I'm going to have a really hard time keeping my mouth shut about all of this, and am hoping the anger fades in the next four weeks.

4 comments:

  1. That really sucks. Maybe you can write the email and not send it? Just get the words out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, hon. That just bites. Family certainly can be the source of the worst kinds of drama. Hoping the holiday slides by quickly and you two are back on track in no time.

    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right to be pissed. I know people like this - who think the world revolves around them and their needs (okay, we're all a little like that...). Anyway, for $230 a night, hopefully you'll have a nice relaxing place to get away from the family for a while. Oh, and I love to use the "last minute Christmas shopping" excuse to get away from family at Christmas - nobody can ask any questions, and you can get away for as long as you like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this SIL is really a different breed isn't she? ERGH! I hope whatever you decide to do- email, keep it to yourself, tell it to their faces... I hope it makes you feel better :)
    I hope you can somehow pull some merriment out of your holiday trip this year

    ReplyDelete